Monday, September 5, 2011

Out of the ashes once more!

Well, it's been a long and semi-boring summer.

Other than the two major events of my hernia surgery and my promotion at work (woot), not a whole lot happened.  Honestly, I've been waiting for school to start for a while now.  I did get to travel around a little bit since my Chicago trip, but nothing too big.  It went down like this:

Trip 1: Fly to South Carolina to get my girlfriend, then drove her car back up here to Detroit.

Trip 2:  Drive to the very northernmost tip of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  It's beautiful up there, so if anyone hasn't been and really wants to check it out, make sure you go!

Trip 3: Return trip to SC.  Drove down with my girlfriend to her house, then flew back up myself.

I've been trying to be a little more proactive about the trips/traveling in general lately.  My boss gave me a week off in October, so I'm taking that opportunity to go back to one of my favorite places: Toronto, Ontario!  I'll be there from October 27-30, so if anyone in the area wants to hang out or grab a beer, just let me know!

Also, I'm still planning my week to Japan next summer.  I've got a LOT of details to work out still, but I'm really looking forward to it!

I'm trying to figure out some way to get out to Finland as well within the next year/year-and-a-half.  More details on that to come.

Oh, almost forgot; I bought a "travel phone" recently.


It's an old, unlocked Nokia.  The idea is that when I get to whatever other country I'm going to (with the exception of Japan and their damn proprietary cell system), I can just buy a prepaid SIM card and then ta-da: I've got a local number!  I've been told they're reasonably cheap, too!  If anyone has any experience with this, or if there's a better way to go about it, let me know!


Well, until next time!

-Paul

3 comments:

DiAne said...

That's basically it. Just get a sim card and switch out. I have cards from Germany and Spain. $20 euro and you're good to go. Let me know if you plan on going to Germany, Spain, Australia, British Columbia or of course, here :D

DiAne said...

Forgot to mention that I have connections there that would love to help you out.

Paul said...

Thanks, Diane! All of those places are places I'd love to see, so I very well might take you up on that offer. =D